July 10, 2014

Guest Post ~ Adina West




It is my great pleasure to welcome to My Book Chatter, author Adina West. I hope you will make her feel very welcome :)


The story of how Dark Child was almost a romance novel


Apparently, you’re supposed to know what kind of book you’re writing before you start writing it. The smart writer has their audience clearly in mind and their book plotted out before they ever write the first word…or so I’ve been told. And I tried to do that when I started writing Dark Child. I really did. But for better or worse, my writing process is neither ordered nor well-behaved. My muse is much happier outside the box than in it.

Dark Child was supposed to be a paranormal romance novel. When I started writing it I’d been reading lots of PNR – authors like JR Ward and Nalini Singh, and I’ll admit there was some Twilight in the mix too. I loved them all, and had so many ideas running through my head that I wanted to bring to life. My sister is a big reader of the paranormal romance genre, so I had her beta read some early scenes I wrote, and when she rang me to give me her feedback, she was a little cautious. “It’s great so far,” she said, “but where’s the male love interest? Don’t you think you should have introduced him by now?”

Oops. I love romance, which is why the Dark Child series has plenty of it, but somehow in those early stages of writing I’d changed tack without realizing it. Instead of writing a paranormal romance novel, complete with its own happily ever after, I found myself embarked on the first book in a longer series. With no intention of limiting myself or my heroine, Kat, to just one male love interest. Where would be the fun in that?

Thanks so much Cath for inviting me here to share the release of Episode 2 of my latest digital serial, Dark Child (Covens Rising). A new episode will be released each week through the month of July!


***Please note that the following relates to Adina’s latest release, the second episode in the second Dark Child book. If you hate spoilers, don’t read on. You may instead like to check out the FREE first episode of Dark Child (the Awakening) that begins this series. Click here for links to retailers.

An introduction to Dark Child (Covens Rising)

Kat Chanter is no ordinary girl. And she's no ordinary vampire, either. The ruthless Directorate will go to any lengths to curb her growing power, including murder. And when that leads to a war between races, Kat's fate becomes the ultimate prize…

And here’s what to expect in this week’s Episode 2...


In her dreams, she craved fresh blood. Warm human blood. And her incisors were long, sharp – able to bite through a fragile layer of skin with ease. What sort of monster does that make me?

Kat discovers that her presence in Paris isn't such a secret anymore. But if she has to battle the Directorate again, it seems she'll have much more support this time. Some of it from the most unlikely sources.

Meanwhile, teenage loner Ben discovers that he has much more in common with Yara Fortes, the girl of his dreams, than he ever hoped. But in a cruel twist of fate, the shared secret that links them together could also get them killed …

Purchase Link

Adina West writes serialized digital fantasy for Momentum books, Pan Macmillan’s digital imprint. She is the author of digital bestseller Dark Child: The Awakening, and has just released the sequel, Dark Child: Covens Rising. Her new-age paranormal fantasy novels mix ancient and modern, tarot, astrology, suspense and romance. She loves that writing Dark Child made watching Vampire Diaries necessary research.

Adina grew up on a remote property on Australia’s east coast, in country New South Wales, and spent most of her childhood curled up with a book. Her first teenage job was shelving books at the local library, where she was cautioned more than once for reading them instead of putting them away. Now, Adina lives in Sydney’s leafy north-west with her IT guru husband, two children, and a couple of unwelcome possums who really don’t know how to take a hint.

Find Adina online
Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...