February 11, 2013

Book Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera

Title: Hooked (Hooked #1)
Author: Liz Fichera
Release Date: January 29th 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Received from the publisher via NetGalley


When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED


My Thoughts

I'll start with the two notes I made while reading Hooked.
20% boring - dont really care for either character...
30% picking up...

Well I have to say that I'm in the minority here because I really didn't care for this book all that much.

I'm not sure that I get Fred, she's rather one dimensional, and I didn't think she really grew as a person throughout the book. Yes, stuff happened to her but I didn't feel anything from her, it didn't teach her anything, her behaviour didn't change. She was just a very flat and uncharismatic character for me.

Ryan is your typical 'jock', nothing special. His character did grow somewhat throughout the story but he was still not all that likeable in my opinion. I didn't feel his attraction to Fred, it felt disingenuous. Ryan only noticed Fred when she joined the golf team, and then he was confused at having feelings for her but we never got to really explore his feelings - we are just told he is attracted to her.

Seth is a fruit loop, completely self absorbed in his own self loathing and hate of Fred. He went way overboard in his mistreatment of her, it was very over-the-top behaviour. There is also Ryans current/on-off again total bitch girlfriend that gets in on the hate fest. It all just felt overly cliched and like I said, I just didn't feel it with this book.

For me, Hooked was a slow, mostly uneventful read that could have benefited from a bit more fleshing out of the characters and the story. Only 2.5 stars :]


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...