July 1, 2013

Book Review: The Outcast Prince by Shona Husk


Title: The Outcast Prince (Court of Annwyn #1)

Author: Shona Husk
Release Date: July 2nd 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: Received from the publisher via NetGalley

Caspian Mort can feel the history in anything he touches, a gift he inherited from his father, the Crown Prince of Annwyn. Devastated over his ex-wife's infidelity, Caspian has withdrawn from human contact except when working as an antiques dealer.

While assessing the contents of the historic Callaway House he encounters the beautiful Lydia Callaway and senses that her home is haunted by a banished fairy. But what does the dangerous exile want? Unbeknownst to Lydia, she's the owner of the last remaining portal to Annwyn—a mirror hidden somewhere in the house. To keep Lydia safe, Caspian will have to divulge the secrets of his heritage, and risk losing his heart again.

My Thoughts

Many YA books of late have made this subject extremely popular so I was expecting a great deal more from this grown up version of a fairy tale.

The Outcast Prince has an interesting storyline, it's very well written and easy to read but I wasn’t overwhelmed with feelings for the main characters. I didn’t feel that they had a whole lot of depth. Sadly I just didn’t care for them as much as I probably should, especially Lydia; I found her to be boring and disingenuous.
I did enjoy Caspian’s strange gift of psychometrics, and the love hate relationship he had with it; especially when touching the antique beds; but beyond that, he also fell flat for me.

Overall I enjoyed the mystery aspect, liked the romance and found the fairy characters interesting, but I wasn’t moved beyond that to fall in love with this book.
To be honest, I really was hoping for a little more sizzle from this book; both beneath the sheets and otherwise.

An enjoyable and slightly more adult take on the world of fairy, The Outcast Prince gets 3.5 stars :]




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...