March 29, 2014

Book Review ~ True Colors by Melissa Pearl

Title: True Colors (The Masks Series, book #1)
Author: Melissa Pearl
Release Date: February 12th 2014
Source: Received from the author for an honest review


Caitlyn Davis always cruised through life, not being the type to ruffle feathers or involve herself in high school drama…until a chance encounter with a strange, homeless man changes everything.

Suddenly, Caitlyn has the ability to see behind people’s masks. She discovers that her life isn’t as simple as she imagined and her high school is filled with secrets…some very sinister ones.

Unable to ignore her new gift, Caitlyn embarks on a mission to learn why one of her friends now appears terrified, but masks her fear behind a bright, smiling veneer. Will Caitlyn’s new ability lead her into hot water? Or is her new found vision a blessing that will expose her friends’ true colors?

Her quest will lead Caitlyn to lose friends, stand up for those in need, and even find love.

At Palisades High School every face tells a story…

Caitlyn Davis is your typical teenager - popular, great friends, cute jock boyfriend, supportive parents; she couldn’t want for more. Only she’s not quite ready to go all the way with her boyfriend, she’s a little embarrassed by her best friends actions towards others and she wonders if being popular is all it’s cracked up to be.

Then one night, she receives a gift; a gift that will change her life forever.
Thrown into turmoil over what she now see’s, Caitlyn turns to the one person who doesn’t hide behind a mask; her neighbor Eric.

Anyone who follows my blog or book reviews knows I’m a huge Melissa Pearl fan. Her books are an absolute joy to read and she always fills her stories with vivid imagery and heartfelt emotion.

I happily stalk follow Melissa Pearl and I’d read a few teasers on Melissa’s facebook page, so my expectations were high when it came to reading True Colors.

I really enjoyed this story. The paranormal aspect was really interesting and unlike anything I have read before. The writing is smooth and I got swept up in this really refreshing story but I just couldn’t get the impression of younger teenagers out of my head. For me, Caitlyn and Eric seem a lot younger - and the language too immature for them to be believable 18-20(ish) year old college kids/adults. They felt like young mid-teens to me because they sounded and acted like kids I know and they did things that my own sixteen year old and her peers have been known to do. So for me, there was a lack of connection, a lack of reality in their characters. But like I said, the story itself was unique and so I was able for the most part, to overlook my disconnect.


Despite my small lack of connection to Caitlyn and Eric, I think True Colors is a well written story that a lot of people will enjoy, and I’ll definitely read more in this series. I’m interested to see how Caitlyn’s ability develops and to see what lies ahead for her.
4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...