July 25, 2011

Book Review: Misfit by Jon Skovron

Title: Misfit
Publisher: ABRAMS
Imprint: Amulet Books
Pub Date: August 1st 2011
ISBN: 9781419700217  

Source: NetGalley


Jael has always felt like a freak. She’s never kissed a boy, she never knew her mom, and her dad’s always been superstrict—but that’s probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half demon and most definitely not a normal sophomore girl. On her sixteenth birthday, a mysterious present unlocks her family’s dangerous history and Jael’s untapped potential. What was merely an embarrassing secret before becomes a terrifying reality. Jael must learn to master her demon side in order to take on a vindictive Duke of Hell while also dealing with a twisted priest, best-friend drama, and a spacey blond skater boy who may have hidden depths.

My Thoughts

So two pages in and I was already considering giving up on this one.

I absolutely HATE dialogue where after every spoken sentence its 
'says Fred' 'Fred said' 'Fred says' 
And then the MC's best friend starts going on about the boy she 'went down on'.
I was thinking....TRAIN WRECK!!

However, I stuck with it and before too long I was actually really enjoying it. So much so that I read it in almost one sitting (I do need to sleep sometime!!)
The author has woven religion, philosophy and mythology (and cute boy) into a well thought out, intriguing story that will appeal to both the young and the not so young alike.
Great characters, great story, great writing (mostly) I really hope to read more about Jael and her interesting collection of friends.
4 Stars



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...