November 5, 2012

Release Day Book Review: Betwixt by Melissa Pearl

Title: Betwixt
Author: Melissa Pearl
Release Date: November 5th 2012
Publisher: Self published
Source: Received from the author for an honest review

Beautiful, wild-child Nicole Tepper is hit by a car and left for dead. But when she wakes the next morning, Nicole finds herself in bed without a scratch. Perhaps she was more intoxicated than usual, as her mother is giving her the silent treatment and her friends are ignoring her as well.

Things take a turn for the weird when Nicole soon discovers she is actually hovering between life and death. Her body is lying in the forest while her spirit is searching for anyone who can hear her. Unfortunately the only person who can is Dale Finnigan, the guy she publicly humiliated with a sharp-tongued insult that has left him branded.

Desperate, Nicole has no choice but to haunt Dale and convince the freaked-out senior to help her. Will he find her body before it's too late? Or will the guy who tried to kill her with his car, beat him there and finish her off before anyone finds out?


My Thoughts


*Short moment of fangirl behaviour required*

OMG I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
I was blown away by its emotion and sincerity. Simply beautiful.
I loved, loved, loved it!! I could not put it down, didn't want it to be over, loved it!

*fangirl squealing session over!*

Seriously though, it's no secret that I loved author Melissa Pearl's Time Spirit Trilogy, in fact they are on my favourite YA reads of 2012 list, and you can check out my reviews for them here: Book #1, Book #2, Book #3
And Forbidden Territory, which Melissa co-authored with Brenda Howson was a fantastic read too. You can read my review here


So needless to say, I had some pretty high expectations for Betwixt.
I needn't have worried because Melissa has again proved to me why I love her (writing) so much.


Melissa Pearl has a talent for writing characters (in this case Nicky) with such emotion and truth, that you forget that you are reading a book. You almost become Nicky, its like slipping into her skin.
Admittedly, my teenage years are far behind me, but reading the first few pages of Nicky's chaotic teenage ramblings, had me reliving a similar moment in my own past, a mistake I had once made - and I was hooked.

The raw emotion, the turbulent thoughts of a messed up, hormone addled teenage mind is both refreshing and harrowing at the same time.
The mean games of popularity, the constant need to be top dog, the good looking girl with the swoon worthy boyfriend, and all the nasty bits in-between just made me feel for Nicky all the more.
She really is just a broken little girl trying to fill up all the cracks before she completely falls apart, and Melissa has captured it all with pinpoint accuracy.

Nicky's story is fresh and original, and while it's one of life and death, it's also a story of self discovery, personal growth, love, forgiveness and faith. A really great addition to a market flooded with supe's and otherworldly beings, Betwixt has a paranormal element all of its own.

Full of beautifully written moments of horror and surprise, laugh-out-loud one liners, complete and utter sweetness (aww Dale), and bone aching sadness and joy; Betwixt is a story that is so lovingly told, it will have you questioning more than just how your actions affect those around you, but the very world you have created for yourself.

Whether 16 or 60, you will fall in love with this book and the author.
Melissa Pearl is a powerhouse of emotional writing and her stories are addictive.

From start to finish, Betwixt had me choking with emotion, breaking my heart - but it was an absolute joy to read. Another book for the keeper shelf, Betwixt is a 5 Star Read ~<;]


LINKS

Facebook


1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is an amazing review. Thank you SOOOO much. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and understood it :)

    You have just made my day.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...