December 7, 2012

Book Review: The Coffin Girls by Aneesa Price

Title: Coffin Girls, Elegantly Undead (Coffin Girls)
Author: Aneesa Price
Release Date: July 18th 2012
Publisher: Self published
Source: Received from the author for an honest review

A sexy, female vampire with secrets. A sinfully-handsome witch prince on a mission. A formidable Vampire Council with something to hide.

A vampire descendent from the original Coffin Girls, Anais runs a successful event and wedding planning business from her majestic New Orleans plantation house. To the Vampire Council, she is seen as an exemplary hostess and household head of a misfit bunch of vampires.
When Yves, her maker and head of the Vampire Council requests her assistance in hosting the mysterious, yet dashing Prince of Witches, Conall, she has no option but to accept. But Anais is the keeper of secrets; secrets that can kill. Protective of her family’s undiscovered uniqueness, Anais is guarded, yet intrigued by the enigmatic witch prince.
Conall and Anais are drawn together when confronted with fatal encounters and an unimaginable destiny… if she’s willing to accept it and fight.


My Thoughts

I found Coffin Girls, Elegantly Undead, to be a slow moving story that tempted me to skim its pages and skip ahead. I thought the plot was good, but there wasn't anything keeping me interested enough to really enjoy the story.
I'm also not a huge fan of writing that reads like a manual - giving an almost blow-by-blow of events rather than using imagery to create a sense of being there. I would have enjoyed a little less telling and more use of descriptive writing; and for me, the story lacked flow, it was a bit of a bumpy read.

While the characters were interesting and a bit different than your average vampire, werewolf, witch; I didn't really care for Anais. I initially thought she was an intriguing MC, and she had a definite heat and attraction with Raulf but she very quickly moved on to Conall which I felt cheapened her character.

Sadly, without a decent connection to the characters I lost interest and took my time to finish the book - I dont think the Coffin Girls is a bad book, I just dont think it was a book for me.

Overall an interesting story with a difference for lovers of all things supernatural but I thought it could do with a little more depth and polish. 3 out of 5 stars :]


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...