April 3, 2013

Book Review: Carved In Darkness by Maegan Beaumont

Title: Carved in Darkness
Author:
Maegan Beaumont
Release Date:
May 8th 2013

Publisher: Midnight Ink Books
Source:
Received from the publisher via NetGalley


Past horrors bleed into a present-day nightmare

Fifteen years ago, seventeen-year-old Melissa Walker was kidnapped, raped, tortured, and left for dead in a churchyard. Only two people know she survived the 83-day-long horror and began a new life as Sabrina Vaughn. As a San Francisco homicide inspector, Sabrina can take down assailants twice her size, but her emotional scars run deep. Seeing Michael O’Shea, a childhood acquaintance with a sketchy past, triggers full-blown panic. How does he know she’s alive? Believing his sister was murdered by the same monster who attacked Sabrina, Michael is dead set on catching him — using Sabrina as bait.

Sabrina’s living nightmare is just about to get worse because somehow, some way, the killer has discovered she’s alive . . . and he’s hungry for her blood.


My Thoughts


I loved this book!

From start to finish I was engrossed - in fact I lay in bed from 10.30pm - 2.30am and literally did-not-move until I was done.

Carved in Darkness is a harrowing story, but also a story of redemption, growth, and justice. Author Maegan Beaumont has done an excellent job of building the tension, the fear, the mystery and intrigue, to bring forth a story of evocative realism that will have your heart pounding wildly in your chest.

I fell in love with the fully fleshed-out, incredibly likeable hard-arse that is Sabrina. I loved her take-no-prisoners attitude. I hurt for her when she struggled with her PTSD episodes; and
my heart bled for her warped and damaged self image. Sabrina Vaughn is a force to be reckoned with and she now has Michael O’Shea in her sights - and what a sight he is!

Michael O'Shea is hot, smoking HOT!!
Oh boy, do I like Michael (a lot!)
He is sweet, determined, damaged; under the thumb of a mercenary group, and on the hunt for his sister's killer.
Meeting Sabrina not only fuels his fire for revenge, but fuels in him a desire to cherish and protect that he didn't think he'd ever feel again.

Thrown together by a common goal, Sabrina and Michael make a formidable team and I felt the physical pain of loss when I finished this book - but after a quick look on the internet I was very relieved to find out that Carved in Darkness is only the first book in a series for the charismatic Sabrina Vaughn; and I for one, can-not-wait to read more from my new favourite author.


One of the best books I've read this year.
5 out of 5 stars ~<:]



1 comment:

  1. WOW, Cath, I'm speechless! Thank you so much for such a glowing review. I'm so glad you liked CARVED. Sabrina and Michael are close to my heart, it's gratifying my love for them shows through. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...