September 7, 2011

Book Review: The Embrace of Life and Death (A Dark Kiss Tale) by Liz Strange

Title: The Embrace of Life and Death (A Dark Kiss Tale)
Author: Liz Strange
Publisher: MLR Press, LLC
Release Date: June 7th 2011
Source: Received from the author for an honest review

Kieran is a hundred-and-twenty-year-old immortal, originally hailing from the harsh, famine-stricken life of 1880s Ireland. He has surpassed death and thrived, gaining wealth, power and knowledge. Azrael is the angel of death, but his mission is far from ominous. He is the protector of the grief-stricken, and the champion of lost souls. The two are polar opposites in mission and nature, yet are inexplicably drawn to one another.

The Supreme One sees all, and when he discovers the truth about the relationship he is enraged. Their commitment to be together must be stronger than his determination to keep them apart.



My Thoughts

I really love anything to do with angels and had high hopes for this book, sadly it didn't quite tick all the boxes for me.

I found Kieran to be an overly emotional man and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't picture him as a vampire. He is the weepiest, most effeminate male I have ever read and I had a hard time believing in his character. I was equally confused by the Angel Azrael. 
I just didn't connect with these characters and that's unfortunate.

I found the first half of this story to be rather slow but I stuck with it. And the second half did become more interesting with the ominous 'Supreme One' turning things upside down and throwing some time travel into the mix but it just wasn't enough to make up for character flaws. Also, I'm in no way religious and don't attend church but the whole alien turning benevolent God, punishing the lower class humans storyline didn't sit well with me either. It just felt contrived.
That being said, it did have some good points. I was glad to see it pointed out that we cant help who we fall in love with, that love comes in all shapes and forms regardless of gender and appearances, something I strongly agree with. And even though it didn't work for me I have to give the author, Liz Strange points for taking on God and changing it up. That takes courage.
2 STARS 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...