September 19, 2011

Book Review: The Guardian's Kiss by Jamie Lynn Dougherty

Title: The Guardian's Kiss (A Samantha Brand Novel)
Author: Jamie Lynn Dougherty
Release Date: June 29th 2011
Source: Received from the author for the purpose of an honest review

Take a step into this world of Angels, Demons and a little something in between. A touch of faith and trust. And a woman finding her true strengths and doing anything she can to protect those around her. Ultimately finding out more about herself and her soul mate than she could have ever imagined.

What would you do if you had the survival of mankind weighing on your shoulders? Would you face your true identity? Or would you run and hide?
When Samantha’s sister is infected by a deadly virus. Samantha and her twin must face their deepest secret. One that they have kept their entire lives. 
When they are rescued by a handsome soldier Trent, Samantha senses something in him she feels she can trust. Little does she know, he has secrets, not even she could have prepared for. Will her destiny take her down the path that will save the human race? Or will it be too late?

With ethereal gifts and a Guardian to watch over her, Samantha must remember who or what she truly is to save those she cares for the most.

My Thoughts

I have quite a bit to say about this book and I warn you now, although I hate spoilers in a review and always do my best to avoid them,
there will be spoilers here.


There are parts of this book that I absolutely loved and parts that I struggled with.
If you like Angels (you know I do!!) and Demons, supernatural strangeness, spirit guides, zombie inducing virus's, and much, much more you are going to love this book.

I really enjoyed the relationship that these sisters had. It was clear that they cared for each other and had each others backs.
Which is why I had a problem with the way in which Samantha dealt with their deaths.
Barely a tear was shed, not a moment of despair to be had.
I know they were on the run, and had lots of other stuff going on but I just didn't understand her apparent lack of feeling.

I enjoyed very much the banter between Samantha and H.B. I found him to be quite the larakin and I liked the added tension he brought to her relationship with Trent.
But once he was unable to change back from his coyote form his roll faded into the background bar a few telepathic conversations with Sam.
I would have liked a little more of H.B's smart mouth and his attempts at seducing Sam away from Trent!

I did enjoy very much the underlying story line for Dricus and Barbra.
I definitely felt the emotion of their connection and was happy to see the growing love between them improve his Fallen status.

I really, really loved the parts of the story that were written from Trent's P.O.V.
Although sparse, I found myself holding my breath throughout.
His 'voice' was just so refreshing, stripped bare, and a joy to read.
I would love to read more of the story from his prospective.

The story line in general was interesting and I liked the zombie virus/government experiment/Lucifer theme very much.
There were a few aspects of the back story that I would have liked more clarity on, however it is the first book in a series and the author cant give everything away!!

I was devastated with the ending.
I really did not want it to finish, and to finish that way was just gut wrenching!!

All that being said, I haven't been able to get this story out of my head!!
The author has done her job very well with these characters. I care about them, a lot.

It looks like I have a long wait too, as expected publication date for Book 2 is set for January 2012

Overall, a thoroughly enticing read.
4 Stars ;]



2 comments:

  1. Jeri Severtson12/29/11, 5:07 AM

    Yeah she might not be able to afford some expensive editor her first time around being this is her first book, but it’s about time we get a book out there with a new twist to it and a little action. It’s nice to see a female character that is strong even through tough times and still can push through it!!!! I give five stars to this new writer and can’t wait to read the next book!!! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not long to go now for book 2 Jeri, Jan 2012 is just around the corner....more Sam, Trent, Dricus, HB and Barbra ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...