March 20, 2012

Book Review: Dead Radiance by T.G. Ayer

Title: Dead Radiance (Valkyrie #1)
Author: T.G Ayer
Publication Date:
February 25th 2012
Publisher: Evolved Publishing
Source: Purchased for my own reading pleasure

That day I knew for sure. I'd lost control of my tears then. They fell in huge, mocking drops. I stared at Joshua through those bitter tears, my heart missing beats as I tried to remember to breathe.

I finally knew what the glow meant.

I was a freak and Joshua was going to die.


Bryn Halbrook had always seen the glow. But it is only when her best friend dies that she discovers the meaning of those beautiful golden auras — Death. Alone, lost in the foster system, she struggles to understand who she is and why she was cursed with the ability to see the soon-to-be-dead.

The new foster kid, Aidan, isn’t helping any. Mr. Perfect seems to fit in no matter what, making her feel even more pathetic. But when his affections turn to her, Bryn finds him hard to resist. Impossible actually. A mystery himself, Aidan disappears, leaving behind a broken heart and a mysterious book that suggests Bryn might not be entirely human.

Bryn stands at the threshold of a journey of discovery. Will destiny help her find herself, find her purpose and her place in a world in which she’d never belonged?

My Thoughts

After reading the first chapters online I had high hopes for a great book, and Dead Radiance did not disappoint.

I can quite happily report that I thoroughly and enthusiastically LOVED this book.

I LOVED the story. 
Norse mythology threaded into an intricately woven teenage tale of loss and hardship, mystery and intrigue, first love, deceit, self discovery and more.

I LOVED the characters.
Bryn is a typically normal kid dealing with the heavy burden of being in the foster system and never quite fitting in anywhere, while struggling with a strange and haunting ‘gift’. 
Her quiet and soft nature at odds with the realisation of what she is to become, Bryn is both challenged and tormented by that new life.

Aidan is cute bad boy, come geek, come secret agent, come saviour, come love interest, come everything! 
He is secretive and intriguing and has strong and confusing feelings for our heroine that will ultimately lead to his possible demise.  

The secondary characters also, are interesting and diverse, with a couple of complete little biarches you’ll want to slap a time or two thrown into the mix.

And lets not forget the Norse Gods.
Some I think you will love and want to learn more about, others, well with their holier than thou attitudes we'll lump them in with the biarches!!

I LOVED the writing. 
The story flows smoothly and effortlessly from the page. 
It is clear and concise without unnecessary fillers and overly detailed sentences that do nothing more than fill the word count.

T.G. Ayer has written this book in a real and believable teenage voice that I literally could not put down. 
After dropping my three girls off at school I sat down with coffee and snacks at hand, and except for toilet breaks and an unexpected storm front closing my daughter’s school early, I did not move until I was finished.  

Dead Radiance had me completely engrossed, I lost myself amongst its pages and I was enraptured with Bryn and her story.

A beautifully written and endearing tale, Dead Radiance is a definite 5 Star read ~<;]

LINKS

T.G. Ayer on facebook
The Valkyrie Novels on facebook
Author's Blog
Dead Radiance on Goodreads
Buy it at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...