March 10, 2013

Sunday Night Ramblings...

I have had an interesting week!
It started out with a trip to the Doctor for what I though might have been Asthma or Bronchitis - turns out it was Whooping Cough!
To say I was surprised is an understatement, but as it happens, there is an apparent whooping cough epidemic in New Zealand right now.
I was never immunised as a child because a cousin of mine had a bad reaction and ended up having ongoing epileptic fits after her shots. Needless to say, it scared my Mum off the idea, but I'm booking a vaccination in the next few months!

Being contagious during a week when my youngest daughter had her first school camp and sleepover sucked!!
I couldn't take part in any of the activities or go along to watch all the performances that the kids put on for the parents... cue major 'woe is me' session!
But armed to the teeth with some kick-ass antibiotics, I am now well on the way to recovery, and thankfully, no longer contagious!

My oldest daughter turned fifteen this week! Fifteen!!
I am the parent of a 15 year old!
So, I had some time to reflect this week.
Where was I at 15?
Me: Living at home with my unhappily married parents.
My daughter: Living at home with her happily married parents.
What did I spend my time doing?
Me: Weekdays involved school, looking after my little brother, and cooking and cleaning for my overworked, and pretty much uninvolved parents. Weekends consisted of partying, drinking, smoking, and generally running around without boundaries.
My daughter: Weekdays involve school, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, homework. Weekends consist of having her friends over, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter!
What music did I listen to?
Me: The Cult, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, The Cure, Aerosmith, Poison, Blam Blam Blam, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper... you get the idea!
My daughter: One Direction, Little Mix, Five Seconds of Summer, Mumford and Sons, Sleeping with Sirens, McFly, Ed Sheeran...

My miss-spent youth!

To say that we are very different people living very different lives goes without saying, but we both have had entirely different upbringings and live in entirely different times.
I can, and will say however, I am extremely proud of my daughter; she has her head screwed on right!

She has definite ideas on what she wants to do with her life, what she wants to be, and where she wants to go... I pretty much flew by the seat of my pants for a few years so I definitely have no room to complain!!


So to celebrate Miss 15 has had a bunch of girlfriends over - her two younger sisters have gone away for the weekend with my darling husband! - and they've watched movies, listened to music, I've taken them shopping, they've stayed up till all hours and they just had a lot of laughs!
In comparison to my alcohol fueled, hormone riddled, full-on party nightmare, they've kept it very tame!

Now it's Sunday night, my DH and two youngest daughters got back from their trip safely. All-but-one of Miss 15's friends have gone home, as she's staying on for another night. Dinner came and went, the dishes got done, and it's time to hit the hay (and read a book!)

Lets see what a new week has in store for us...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...